9.16.2013

How to Upholster a Box Spring

Operation Big Girl Room still in full chaotic swing. It's tough to re-do a kid's room when they are still very much living in their room every day. I have to clean up tons of toys and laundry first before I can even get to the thing I'm trying to redo. Sheesh. I've wanted to do this project for a long time. Before, Kaley had a traditional bed skirt. But because of the style of her bed, it always just looked like a big wrinkled mess. So, I decided to upholster her box spring.

Supplies
  • Box Spring (duh)
  • Staple Gun
  • About 6 yards of fabric depending on the size of the bed (This is a full)


Note about my fabric. This fabric was $2.99/yard. It's actually the fabric reusable grocery bags are made out of. It was called "bag fabric" at JoAnn's and I'm so happy I stumbled across it. I highly recommend this type of fabric for upholstering a box spring. (And it's cheap!)

Step 1
Cut your fabric lengthwise. Wide enough to cover the side of the box spring, wrap around the top about 6"-8", and wrap around the bottom a couple inches. It doesn't have to go around as far on the bottom. You don't have to cut super straight. I found standing the box spring up was the easiest way to do this. Let's just pretend that laundry is put away there... (little secret, it never really is).


Step 2
Start stapling. This is the bottom. I really didn't need to wrap the fabric that far under, you'll never see the bottom. Make sure your staples are going into the wood. Smooth the fabric out flat as you go. It doesn't have to be super tight. On the top, put the staples as far in (toward the middle of the bed) as you can get them and still hitting wood. If they are close to the edge, you will see them.



When you get to a corner, just smooth it around and fold the fabric on the top and bottom. Staple in place. My fabric did not go all the way around. I used 2 pieces and made the seams at the foot and head of the bed. This fabric does not fray so I just overlapped and kept stapling.

That's it. A cheap and easy way to get rid of that bed skirt. I love the polka dots!

If you'd like to see where we started or other projects from Operation Big Girl Room, click on the pics below.

11 comments :

  1. I love this idea! I hate bed skirts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I saw a person just put a fitted sheet on their box spring once and thought, why haven't we been doing this all along?? :)

      Delete
  2. Seems pretty simple and such a great idea! Adds another level of color and pattern! The rooms looks super cute

    Laura
    House Envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. It's getting there. Total project time was under an hour even with taking the mattress off and all. Super easy and I love how much cleaner it looks. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Finely cutest boxspringbed (boxspringbett) has been displayed here only for providing accurate knowledge about their way of designing these beds along with their colour scheme preferences. This enables us the opting for the perfect bed which suits best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, thanks foe sharing! And explaining

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really neat idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bedskirt just looked awful with her type of bed. Now it's always neat!

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! where did you find the bedding, or did you make it. Great way to cover a box spring.

    ReplyDelete